Mr. J.W. Hellums, Jr., CET, is certainly one of the most experienced, knowledgeable Potable Water Professions in the state of Louisiana today. He currently holds a Class IV Production, Treatment & Distribution Water Operator’s Certificate and a Class I Wastewater Treatment and Collection Certificate. Over the years, he has participated in a number of critical working committees, made numerous presentations and conducted countless training session throughout Louisiana and other nationwide locations, including U.S. EPA’s Dallas office. He has presented papers to the U.S. EPA on a number of occasions on behalf of the Region 4 and Region 6 Drinking Water Administrators. In addition, he served on the U.S. EPA’s Water System “Brain Trust.”
Mr. Hellums is an approved water training instructor for California State University at Sacramento. He is a former Chairman of the Louisiana Conference on Water Supply, Sewerage and Industrial Waste. He was a key participant in the Conference when the original certification rule was adopted. During his tenure as Chairman, he established the very first contract Operator Training Program. He has taught all levels of water and wastewater certification training classes for over twenty-five years. His captivating teaching style incorporates traditional classroom techniques as well as modern multi-media resources. Mr. Hellums has also actively worked with the Louisiana Office of Public Health Certification Committee and provided valuable input to the certification testing process and certification rules and regulations.
Throughout his career, he has received numerous awards in recognition of outstanding achievement and service. In 1985, he received the S. L. Perry Award from the Louisiana Conference on Water Supply, Sewerage and Industrial Waste for outstanding service to the water industry. In 1988, the Conference named him the Water Works “Man of the Year” for the Northeast Region. The American Water Works Association awarded him the prestigious George Warren Fuller Award in 2000. In 2002, he achieved Life Member status in the American Water Works Association. He has also received the Twenty-Five Year Membership Award from the Louisiana Conference on Water Supply, Sewerage and Industrial Waste.
- Personal Services Contractor to the Louisiana DHH/OPH Capacity Development Program (2002 – present)
- Community Resource Group, Inc., Lake Charles, LA (1995 – 2002) Operations/Management Specialist
- Bastrop, LA, Tallulah, LA. and Pensacola, FL (1973-1995) Manager of an investor owned water system
- Morehouse Parish Schools, Bastrop, LA (1965 – 1973) Classroom Teacher–Biology, Chemistry and General Science
Education and Certifications:
- University of Arkansas: B. S. E. Education, 1965
- Northeast Louisiana University: M. Ed. Masters in Education, Minor in Biology, 1969
- Certified in Water and Wastewater Treatment Operations by Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals
- Certified as a Property & Casualty and Vehicle Physical Damage Producer License by the LA Dept of Insurance